Wait a minute. This is a missionary blog, right?
Right. But even missionaries need to eat!
In all seriousness, I tend to stress myself out too often about making sure that my blog posts stay within the parameters of whatever the theme of the blog is. But as a result, I never post anything, because I talk myself out of posts that are swimming around in my head because they don’t “fit.” Well, no more! Bring on the random and completely unrelated posts! (Sorry Michael).
This is hands-down my favorite soup recipe. I love creamy soups, and I love loaded potatoes, but our new way of eating doesn’t really allow for those things. Or so I thought. If I didn’t tell you, I guarantee you that you would have no idea that this is a whole-foods, plant-based, nutritious, healthy soup. It’s lusciously creamy and indulgent, without any of the pitfalls that come with those qualities. The magic ingredient that makes this possible is raw cashews.
Yep. Raw nuts can make all your creamy soup dreams come true.
I’ll go ahead and admit right up front that I’m using a Vitamix to blend the cashews, which definitely helps me achieve the velvety creaminess that makes this soup so delectable. We could pretend that a Vitamix isn’t really superior to other blenders, but as Dolores Umbridge carved into our
hands heads, one mustn’t tell lies. But if you don’t have a Vitamix (I’m sorry), just blend the cashews in a regular blender on high speed for a few minutes and hope for the best. It will be fine.
I’ll leave you with the recipe while I go repent of the sin of blender pride.
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup (adapted from this recipe)
1 Tbsp olive oil (or 3 tbsp water if omitting oil)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 large ribs of celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried thyme
3 cups diced potatoes (I use baby reds)
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup raw cashews
3 green onions, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp smoked salt (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat (omit if water sauteeing).
2. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
4. Stir in sea salt and thyme.
5. Add vegetable stock (I used 4 c water + 4 tsp Vogue VegeBase)
6. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
7. Add potatoes, lower heat to medium low, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Leaving potatoes in the pot, pour as much broth as possible into a high-power blender.
10. Add cashews to the blender, cover, and blend until creamy.
11. Return cashew cream to the pot and stir to combine.
12. Add smoked salt and green onions if using.